- Check the device BIOS.
- If set to UEFI, confirm with WinMagic whether the device is in the supported list and please refer to the KB to find out more about our support for Win 8 / Win 8.1/ Win 10. http://www.winmagic.com/device-compatibility
- Update BIOS firmware from Vendor
- Models not in the list should be first tested for compatibility prior to mass deployment.
- If unsure, please contact WinMagic Support or Professional Services for further assistance.
- BIOS Mode
- Turn off BIOS password
- Verify BIOS is set to AHCI Mode. Caution: some Dell devices have default set to RAID mode.
a) Otherwise use ATA to AHCI or RAID to AHCI Conversions Procedures without re-imaging of Operating Systems.
- (Recommended mainly for SED drive) - Install the compatible AHCI driver. Recommended drives are Intel Rapid Storage Driver (IRST) – 126.96.36.1992/188.8.131.523/184.108.40.2062 or above
- Ensure no other data protection (encryption) products are installed that is currently enabled for disk encryption.
1)AV/DAP Applications – Ensure that these applications do not blacklist SecureDoc processes
Perform chkdsk (Recommended)
Regular spin drives tend to wear over time and develop bad sectors and become heavily fragmented. Drives within the company inventory running for long time would benefit from the following standard maintenance measures.
1) Sample Script:
A a) Bat file for chkdskecho y|chkdsk /f /r
shutdown -r -t 05
/F Automatically Fix file system errors on the disk.
/X Fix file system errors on the disk, (Win2003 and above) dismounts the volume first, closing all open file handles.
/R Scan for and attempt Recovery of bad sectors.
2) Powershell script for chkdsk and defrag
defrag : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa389832(VS.85).aspx
chkdsk : http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384915(VS.85).aspx
Additional Advisable Best Practices
a) Connect laptop/desktop to a power source during encryption.
ü Backup all of your data on to an external hard drive. If there is any concern on data loss or sensitive data, please follow this recommendation.
ü Ensure that MS Updates are up to date on the workstation.
ü Turn off MS Windows update during encryption process. Below are links to "How to disable Windows Update” on the following OS
- Windows Vista :http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Turn-automatic-updating- on-or-off
- Windows 7: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Turn-automatic-updating-on-or-off
- Windows 8: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/turn-automatic-updating-on-off#turn- automatic-updating-on-off=windows-8
- Windows 10: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/getstarted-choose-how-updates-are-installed
On SES Server, ensure the following are followed:
- Backup SES DB Key and Password in a safe location.
- It is also HIGHLY recommended to take Weekly/Daily backup of the SES DB and Logs on the server.